In 2020 alone, at least nine Nigerians lost their lives to insecurity on a daily basis, a report by TheCable says.
The total number of those killed in various attacks was 3,326. This did not include the Nigerians killed by the Nigerian Army, the police and other security agencies.
It also did not include deaths of suspected criminals or others such as Boko Haram insurgents.
TheCable said it arrived at the figure after analysing data from media reports and from the Council on Foreign Relations.
The news platform said it contacted the police to cross-check the figure with official data but got no response.
Here are the main points of the report:
1. There were 735 reported attacks in the country in 2020.
2. Killings were reported in all the months; September had the least with 171 deaths while June led with 451.
3. Borno, Kaduna and Katsina – in that order – had the most deaths.
4. Gombe had just one reported death from one incident, the least among the states.
5. Kaduna was attacked the highest number of times: 78.
6. South-east was the safest zone while north-east and south-west were the most attacked.
7. Nigeria recorded 16 massacres, that is, attacks resulting in more than 30 deaths in 2020.
8. The most prominent causes of deaths were attacks by Boko Haram insurgents, bandits, kidnappers and cultists.