Delta government denies receiving James Ibori’s £4.2 million loot

Delta state government said the £4.2 million recovered by the Nigerian government from the money former governor James Ibori looted is not yet in the state’s account.

The claim ran contrary to the announcement made by the Accountant-General of the Federation, Ahmed Idris.

Idris, had on Tuesday told the House of Representatives Committee on Recovered Assets, in Abuja, that the funds had been released to Delta state government.

Reacting to the Accountant-General’s statement, the state government in a statement by Olisa Ifeajika, Chief Press Secretary to Governor Ifeanyi Okowa, in Asaba, disclosed that the money had not arrived in the state coffers.

According to the statement, the state government was in contact with the federal government, especially the Office of the Attorney-General of the Federation, on the issue, stressing that “We have not received from the federal government the 4.2 million pounds returned by the United Kingdom.”

The state government however expressed appreciation for the disposition of the federal government in releasing the funds to the state, and assured that it would acknowledge receipt of the funds when it arrives.

The state government also assured the federal government and Delta people that the funds would be judiciously used, especially to complete projects it had earlier intimated the Presidency about.

Via
Sahara Reporters

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Related Articles

Back to top button