The International Criminal Court (ICC) said it has launched a preliminary investigation into the role of the Nigerian Army and other agencies in the October 20 shooting of protesters at Lekki Toll Plaza in Lagos.
At least nine Nigerians were allegedly killed when soldiers fire on EndSARS protesters at Lekki Toll Plaza. But Nigerian authorities, including Lagos governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu denies this.
The Nigerian Army also denied wrongdoing claiming that it was only trying to enforce a curfew Sanwo-Olu declared after thugs allegedly sponsored by the government hijacked peaceful protests against police brutality.
An ICC prosecutor told the BBC on Wednesday that the international crimes tribunal has received a petition that carried claims of the massacre.
The BBC said the ICC confirmed that the person who filed the petition had already made its details public.
Nigeria’s chief of army staff Lt Gen Tukur Buratai had told soldiers involved in the alleged shooting to not be afraid of international prosecution.