EndSARS: ‘Buhari government bans protesters from flying abroad’

The Muhammadu Buhari administration is reportedly drawing up a list of prominent EndSARS protesters whom the government will bar from leaving Nigeria.

That was why key EndSARS strategist and fundraiser Modupe Chizoba Odele was prevented from travelling out of the country on November 1, reports say.

The Buhari government is reportedly targeting hundreds of protesters who were vocal online and offline in the move which critics are describing as “unconstitutional” as no-fly lists are usually deployed against terrorists and other perpetrators of crimes against humanity.

The interior ministry headed by former Osun governor Rauf Aregbesola is reportedly among the sections of the Buhari government targeting those who protested against police brutality.

The Department of State Services (DSS) is also reportedly involved.

“We told the (interior) ministry that we have not started compiling a list of the protesters because we did not get a presidential directive to do so as of that time,” an official familiar with the move said according to a report by Peoples Gazette.

“But the ministry went on on its own to start collating a list for enforcement.”

Another DSS official attached to civil aviation reportedly said that the list was yet to be formally circulated, but six people suspected of participating in EndSARS were already prevented from traveling last week.

“I know six people have been prevented from travelling to Europe and Dubai because of the troubles they put the government through with their campaign against security workers,” the official said.

“The immigration people are already doing their own work, but we have not received any list from the headquarters.”

Via
Peoples Gazette

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Related Articles

Back to top button