President Donald Trump has promised to ensure an orderly transfer of power after chaotic scenes that reportedly resulted in the death of four people on Capitol Hill.
“Even though I totally disagree with the outcome of the election, and the facts bear me out, nevertheless there will be an orderly transition on January 20th,” Trump said according to a White House statement.
The US president could not share his message on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter where he had been temporarily banned for allegedly inciting violence.
Chaos had ensued after rioters believed to be Trump’s supporters invaded Congress on Wednesday, forcing lawmaker to evacuate and temporarily suspend the certification of Democratic candidate Joe Biden as president-elect.
Biden’s status was later confirmed after normalcy returned.
Several White House staff have resigned from Trump’s waning government since the Capitol Hill invasion during which police shot a female Trump supporter who later died.
Three other people also died after suffering medical episodes, reports say.
World leaders are blaming the deadly moments of madness on Trump who had told his supporters to converge on Washington DC for a “wild” protest.
Some Republican senators who promised to contest Biden’s election claims stood down and condemned Trump after Congress was breached.
Former Nigerian president Goodluck Jonathan told Trump that political ambition would never be worth the blood of the people elected officials claim to serve.