PDP founding member, Abdullahi Adamu, emerges as APC national chairman
Former Nasarawa governor Abdullahi Adamu has emerged as the national chairman of the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC).
Adamu was declared the party’s chairman after President Muhammadu Buhari reportedly handpicked him as the ‘consensus candidate’ before the APC national convention held in Abuja on March 26.
Governor Abubakar Badaru of Jigawa, who is also chairman of the convention’s electoral committee, announced Adamu as the winner of the contest after he was endorsed by party members and leaders at the convention via a voice vote. Prior to the vote, six aspirants had stepped aside and endorsed Adamu as the consensus candidate. His announcement as the APC national chairman on Saturday night was only a formality.
Adamu has a long history in the opposition Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), of which he was a founding member. Adamu’s two terms as the Governor of Nasarawa were under the platform of the then ruling PDP. The new APC national chairman was also the Secretary of the Board of Trustees (BoT) of the PDP. He was also a PDP Senator in 2011.
In 2014, Adamu decamped to the APC and helped the party seize Aso Rock in the 2015 general election. Adamu is not the only former PDP member who emerged as an APC leader on Saturday night. The ruling party’s new secretary Iyiola Omisore was also a member of the opposition party. There were several others.
Here is the full list of APC executives confirmed as of Sunday morning:
- Senator Abdullahi Adamu – National Chairman
- Senator Iyiola Omisore – National Secretary
- Muhazu Bawa Rijau (Niger) – National Vice-Chairman (North-Central)
- Salihu Lukman (Kaduna) – National Vice-Chairman (North-West)
- Emma Eneukwu (Enugu) – Deputy National Chairman (South)
- Senator Abubakar Kyari – Deputy National Chairman (North)
- Zainab Abubakar Ibrahim (Taraba) – Deputy National Women Leader
- Temidayo Israel Abdullahi – National Youth Leader
- Christopher Akpan – Deputy National Welfare Secretary
- Agunwa Anekwe – National Ex-Officio (South-East)
- Ayo Afolabi – Zonal Publicity Secretary (South-West)
- Musa Mailafia – Zonal Publicity Secretary (North-West)
- Lamido Mohammed – Zonal Secretary (North-East)
- Blessing Agbome (Edo) – Zonal Organising Secretary (South-South)
- Isma’il Kolawole Majoro (Oyo) – Zonal Legal Adviser (South-West)
- Barrister Chukwuemeka – Zonal Legal Adviser (South-South)
- Mayor Ogbona Earnest (Ebonyi) – Zonal Legal Adviser (South-East)
- Bashir Usaini Dutse (Jigawa) – Zonal Legal Adviser (North-West)
- Dauda Chakpo (Taraba) – Zonal Legal Adviser (North-East)
- Hadiza Aliyu (Kogi) – Zonal Legal Adviser (North-Central)
- Bello Goronyo (Sokoto) – Zonal Secretary (North-West)
- Yakubu Mohammed Adamu (FCT) – Zonal Secretary (North-Central)
- Bunmi Oriniowo (Ekiti) – National Ex-Officio (South-West)
- Diriwari Akedewei (Bayelsa) – National Ex-Officio (South-South)
- Allyu Ahmed Yako (Kano) – National Ex-Officio (North-west)
- Oluwatoyin Opawuye (Kwara) – National Ex-Officio (North-Central).
- Jamaluddeen Kabir (Zamfara) – Deputy National Youth Leader
- Yakubu Murtala Ajaka (Kogi) – Deputy National Publicity Secretary
- Hamma-Adama Ali Kumo (Gombe) – Deputy National Financial Secretary
- Omorede Osifo (Edo) – Deputy National Treasurer
- Bashir Usman Gumel (Jigawa) – National Financial Secretary
- Ahmed El-Marzuk (Katsina) – National Legal Adviser
- Fetus Fuanter (Plateau) – Deputy National Secretary