The Nigerian military’s claim that only 43 rice farmers were killed in Borno is false, factional leader of Boko Haram, Abubakar Shekau, says.
The Boko Haram terrorist claimed responsibility for the massacre of rice farmers in Kwashebe-Zabarmari axis of Jere Local government area on Saturday.
Shekau, in a three-minute video released on Tuesday, said his group killed 78 farmers because “the farmers arrested and handed one of its brothers to the Nigerian Army.”
The group also warned that those arresting their members and giving out intelligence on their activities to the military will face the same fate if they did not desist from doing so.
“The third message is on those who notoriously nab our brethren and hand them to the military or give them a clue on us, you should know that, unless you repent, what happened to your people is awaiting you.” he said.
There have been conflicting reports over the number of casualties as 43 deaths were earlier reported by government authorities.
The UN humanitarian coordinator in Nigeria, Edward Kallon later said that at least 110 people were killed in the attack with many woman kidnapped.
Borno governor Babagana Zulum had earlier on Sunday participated in the funeral prayers for 43 victims of the attack.
At the burial, villagers said more rice farmers were still missing.