News that Boko Haram has released the Kankara boys it kidnapped from a school in Katsina is apparently false.
Head of Nigerian Diapora Commission, Abike Dabiri-Erewa, caused a stir online after she tweeted that the students had been freed.
She later claimed the account that tweeted the news was not her account.
Then she said that it was her account but had been taken over by hackers who then posted the apparent fake news.
From all indications, 520 Government Science Secondary School, Kankara remain in Boko Haram custody. But Arise TV was also reported to have said the boys had been freed.
Boko Haram released a video on Thursday to prove that they kidnapped the boys.